Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Bread Pakoda



This Friday is my husband's turn to take breakfast for his breakfast club at work.And we were wondering what to make that would stand out. So Last night, I tried out making Bread Pakoda which all us Mumbaikars have gorged on for so many years. I have memories of eating hot Bread Pakodas bought on the train ride to Pune.

Ingredients:
4 slices bread

Alu sabji
(Potato Filling):
5 Potatoes boiled, peeled and mashed
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp Red Chilli powder
1 tsp Cumin powder
Salt to taste
1 tsp Turmeric
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
5-6 curry leaves
Oil to fry

Besan Batter (Chickpea batter):
2 cups Chickpea Flour
2 cups water
salt
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
turmeric 1 tsp

Garlic Green Chutney(Spicy chutney):
Grind together in a blender:
1 tbsp garlic sliced
5 green chillies chopped
1 1/2 cups coriander leaves chopped
1 tbsp spinach chopped
1/4 cup coconut grated
salt to taste
lemon

Meetha Chutney
(sweet chutney):
100 g Dates, boiled
1 marble-sized ball of Tamarind
1 tsp Chilli Powder
1 pinch Black Pepper
1 pinch Salt

Grind all ingredients together in a food process and keep aside.I use the same chutney for my Pani Puris .

Alu sabji:
Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan.
Add mustard seeds and turmeric.
Add curry leaves and salt.Add all the other spices.
Blend well for 2 minutes.
Take off the stove and keep aside.



Method:
Heat oil for frying.
Cut off the edges off the bread .
Spread one slice with alu sabji.
Press the other slice on top.
Cut it diagonally.



Dip the bread into the Chickpea batter.




Coat it thick all over and fry until golden brown.




Drain it on paper towels.
Serve warm with meetha and teekha chutneys.


The batch of bread pakodas that went to my husbands breakfast club on Friday.

4 comments:

Shrinivas Krishnamurthy said...

Amma literally just made these for tiffin. Just washed some of these down with a chair. Remarkable.

Bhavani said...

I think Amma made Bread Roll which I love and will make soon.Just made about 40 bread pakodas this morning for D's breakfast group and have had my share of bread and Alu for this month..:)

delhibelle said...

I have eaten an endless number of these in my college canteen. Thanks for sharing your recipe, I want to make these soon.

Bhavani said...

Thanks delhibelle. Do let me know how the pakodas turn out.