Saturday, July 26, 2008

Green Mango Daal


This is a Daal I got to try out at a friends place while visiting her for a weekend. I had to try it out as I loved the flavor of Mango in the daal. Thanks Jo ! This is the best daal I have ever had in my entire life ! I made this for lunch today and we had it with Alu paratha and also with rice. We couldn't stop eating !

Ingredients:

1 cup Toor daal (Pigeon Pea)
1 big Green mango
1 tsp Salt

Tempering:

2 tsp Oil
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tsp Asafoetida powder
1 tsp Turmeric powder
4/5 Curry leaves
1 Red chilli

Method :

Chop the mango with skin on into cubes.Discard the seed.
Add to 1 cup toor daal and cook in water till done.I cooked it in the pressure cooker for 3 whistles.1 cup daal with 3 cups water for the pressure cooker.
Heat a pan and add oil.
Add the tempering and wait till mustard splutters.
Add the daal with mango .
Add 1 cup water, salt and cook on medium till it boils.
Enjoy with rotis and rice.

4 comments:

Arundathi said...

hmm not sure if we get green mangoes right now, but will try this. thanks.

Bhavani said...

You do get green mango now.My mom made this daal lastnight and dad loved it.do try.

Shrinivas Krishnamurthy said...

Amma made this 2 days back, and I'm loving it! I think this blog is awesome! So long as you can persuade the folks to to contribution posts here.... Some of appa's dal+potato bhaji recipe's (hehe) and amma's huge collection of dal's, mixed rice, authentic south indian dishes etc...will be a database of yumminess !! Happy eating

Bhavani said...

Oh yes, I have been begging for recipes from Amma.Everyone can contribute.You and Appa too. As long as I get snaps and detailed recipes. :)